Are there aphrodisiac foods and how does food affect libido in general?
We answer the popular question if there are really aphodisiac foods and how does any food affect our libido in genera.
Together with sexologist Anastasia Akimova and sex consultant Zoya Prishivalko, we are looking for answers to some questions about food and libido. For example, do oysters, dark chocolate and other aphrodisiac foods increase sexual desire. And is it possible to solve problems with libido with the help of a diet.
Can libido problems be cured by diet
Libido fluctuates throughout life, and this is normal. According to the Mayo Clinic, women’s sexual desire is affected by:
- physiological causes (diseases, medications);
- lifestyle (lack of sleep, fatigue, smoking, large amounts of alcohol);
- hormonal changes (pregnancy, breastfeeding, menopause);
- psychological reasons (stress, depression, low self-esteem, negative sexual experience in the past);
- relationship problems (unresolved conflicts with a partner, lack of trust, difficulty discussing sexual preferences)
If you are concerned about a decrease in libido, you need to contact a specialist and find the cause of the problem. Depending on it, treatment is prescribed. There is no direct connection between diet and libido. But there may be an indirect effect. For example, a girl follows an exhausting diet, does not receive enough energy, vitamins, and microelements. As a result, libido decreases. But if you start eating right, everything will return to normal.
Sometimes libido is affected by chronic diseases. For example, diabetes. Accordingly, you have to follow a certain diet. When the disease goes into an acceptable form, libido improves.
Does a balanced diet affect libido?
A healthy lifestyle gives the body the energy to have sex. If the resources are not enough, this can lead to a decrease in libido. The first recommendation for problems with libido is to establish a healthy lifestyle: normalize sleep and daily routine in general, eat a balanced and varied diet, and have a good rest.
To have the strength and desire to have sex, it is important to get enough calories and maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. To do this, the American Heart Health Association recommends eating more often:
- fruits and vegetables;
- whole grains high in fiber
- healthy fats – vegetable oils , avocados and so on;
- seafood, nuts and legumes.
For men to maintain optimal levels of the sex hormone testosterone, it is important to get enough zinc. It is found in seafood, red meat, pumpkin seeds. For a normal hormonal background, women need healthy fats, which are found in vegetable oils, nuts, and some varieties of fish.
In short, there is no special diet for libido. But the state of the body affects sexual desire. And just it can be supported by general recommendations for a healthy and balanced diet . It is important to remember that even the right food does not guarantee the absence of libido problems. Because difficulties with attraction can be caused by other reasons.
Are there aphrodisiac foods?
There is no scientific evidence that these products actually increase libido. Firstly, trace elements are not absorbed instantly, so it is doubtful to recommend eating something immediately before sex.
Secondly, if the body really lacks some trace elements (for example, the same zinc), food will not help fix it. Even in micronutrient-rich foods, there are fewer of them than in tablets. Therefore, with a diagnosed deficiency, pharmacy drugs are prescribed.
In eating before sex, it is better to adhere to the principles of common sense.
1. Refuse foods with a pungent odor: onions, garlic, radishes, sauerkraut, and so on. Otherwise, it may be unpleasant for a partner to kiss.
2. Do not eat too tightly. If you overload the gastrointestinal tract, there may not be strength left for sexual intercourse.
3. Avoid spicy and fatty foods and other hard-to-digest foods that can cause bloating, diarrhea, or heartburn.